Ask the Director, a Discussion with M. Night Shyamalan

Paramount has just invited me to fly out to New York and have a Roundtable Discussion with director M. Night Shyamalan.”  We already have some burning questions for M. Night about the upcoming Live Action Airbender movie, but I wanted to ask all the fans out there if there is any more questions that you have about the movie and I will do my best to fit your questions into the discussion.

M night Shyamalan The Last Airbender

Let us know what questions you have for M. Night Shyamalan

I’m way stoked to meet the director and hope to learn some more about the movie, i’ll of course be posting any interesting information up for you guys to enjoy.

Momo Live Action Movie

What would Momo Like to know about the Movie?

Ask your questions for M. Night in the Comment Area below.

Hey everyone, I'm the Administrator / Programmer of the site. I love anything that's awesome, and am looking for new hobbies. Let me know if you have any ideas :)

New Japanese Airbender Trailer Features Some Sweet New Bending
Community Opinion: Characters We Wanted To See More Of
New Korra Logo Revealed
2 page preview for Avatar Free Comic Book Day Issue

1. makawow Said: Comment by makawow on February 25, 2010 at 6:38 pm | Permalink

The trailer and everything we’ve seen so far is about as serious as death.

why was the live action movie changed? in terms of colour, no comedy in the trailer and all serious scenes.

Is the trailer meant to be an overall feel of the movie?

I dont except everything from book 1 to be in the movie but was it necessary to add new scenes and lines for the movie?

Admin / Jordash Reply:

Very good questions, Thanks

2. wasim Said: Comment by wasim on March 14, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

the trailer sound track does not sound so promising i was wondering are they going to include the agni kai fighting sound track which was used in the cartoon series because that was reallly catchy and worked really well with all the sences

Admin / Jordash Reply:

M. Night Talks a little bit about the Soundtrack in the video, i’ll be posting the video and responses up sometime this week.

3. Al Said: Comment by Al on March 22, 2010 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

If it’s not too late to ask questions…

Since the 3 movies are expected to take 6 years to make will the time span change from about a 1 year to maybe like 3 years to fit the aging child actors?

Admin / Jordash Reply:

That’s a good question, M. Night Doesn’t answer that question directly in the video but he does address the “aging” actors issue a little bit. He did say it might be a slight problem, especially since Aangs voice might change from a higher to deeper tone. I seem to think he said something else about it too.. i’ll look through my notes.

4. Emma Said: Comment by Emma on April 3, 2010 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

When will there be auditions to the next movie, or if im to late for that, auditions for the 3rd movie? and where will they be if you know??

Admin / Jordash Reply:

Hey you can find more information about it here:

It’s the second post down

You can also download the following PDF which has everything you need to know about auditioning for the movie:

Good luck!

Emma Reply:

wait…was that for the second movie?? is there still openings???!! please dont tell me those dates were the only dates to audition… :\

5. ashley Said: Comment by ashley on May 5, 2010 at 1:07 am | Permalink

Is there still auditions for the movie cause I really want to be in it!!!

6. Georgiy Sekretaryuk Said: Comment by Georgiy Sekretaryuk on June 2, 2010 at 10:57 pm | Permalink

My friend here has a good storyline for Avatar book 4. You could take a look if you wish as people around the world want the series to continue. If you would like to know then please e-mail me at goschathehokage@hotmail.com.
    This series is basically about 4 years since Aang defeats Ozai and Ozula escapes with her new type of bending: black fire bending and creates a group that can bend like her called Blackshot. So aang is at the same time trying to figure out how to return the Air Nomads. When he used enerybending to take away Ozai’s powers he read in the Library (dont remember which one) that using energy bending you can give a element to a person. He is tryin gto figure out how and fights the new Ozula. Its pretty cool.

7. Mike Said: Comment by Mike on July 1, 2010 at 8:28 am | Permalink

I watched the special 15 minute segments last night with Night and his “walkthrough” of his super secret headquarters, and realized that this movie is going to be TERRIBLE! He stated that he wants to GROUND the movie by changing some things around from the cartoon. He is going to take away the fire nations ability to PRODUCE fire, and he is changing the pronounciation of Aang.

Taking away the Fire Nations ability to produce fire is taking away their evil character. Fire is the representation of rage and fury (we learn this to be different later from Ren and Shaa and the Sun People), and creates a sense of evil when there are guys going around being able to burn anything whenever they want. It is the UNRESTRICTED ability to produce deadly fire and brimstone that makes the Fire Nation the antagonistic monsters that they are. Night makes the claim that benders are limited because they dont have the materials around them necessary to bend when they want, and firebenders can bend fire whenever they want. There are rocks, dirt, and other materials for earthbending EVERYWHERE. There is Air, EVERYWHERE. There is Water, on a VAST MAJORITY of our planet as well as this fantasy world. Where is the fire? Do we live in a world that is consumed in flames? NO. The fire nation is at a disadvantage because they dont have the materials necessary to fulfill their bending requirements like the other nations do. Which is completely contrary to what Night said last night on his interview. In summation, changing the fire nations ability to PRODUCE flames was a terrible and not very well thought out choice.

Second, and this probably the worst part, he changed the pronounciation of the main character Aang. Night stated that he wanted to further “ground” the movie and use a traditional asian name (excuse me if I used a not politically correct use of “asian”). I will give you this Night: the cartoon series has very strong oriental themes that can be seen everything, this is true. But don’t change the name of the main character, IT IS GOING THE THROW EVERYBODY OFF. I don’t care if you yourself are of oriental decent and feel that because of that you need to change the pronounciation to make yourself feel better. It is not about you IT IS ABOUT THE AUDIENCE. WE, as the amazing fan base of this wonderful cartoon, want to see as little deviation from the cartoon as is humanly and fiscally possible. Changing the pronounciation of the main characters name is probably one of the WORST choices that you could have possibly made in making this movie.

Those are the two main things that irked me last night after watching the special interview with Night. I for one will NOT be spending my hard earned money on a movie that is going to ruin the Avatar cartoon series. Why are the creators of the cartoon not outraged by some of the things that Night is doing here? I know I would be, and I am! Regardless, Night should have realized that no matter what he did, he would not be able to create a live action movie out of a cartoon that has such amazing visual effects and battle sequences, and other awe inspiring bending feats. He would not be able to produce the same emotions that the fan base has been able to enjoy for the past several years when watching this cartoon. I hope that this movie flops.

8. Mike Said: Comment by Mike on July 1, 2010 at 8:36 am | Permalink

I know that post was probably WAYYY too late, but I just had to vent my frustration somewhere.

9. Savvy Said: Comment by Savvy on July 11, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

Hello, I am sending in my resume for auditions for book 2. When are you excepting resumes for book 2? Thank you. Love you’re work btw.

10. Lawanna Dufner Said: Comment by Lawanna Dufner on October 17, 2010 at 9:17 pm | Permalink

have been reading your blog around several days. really enjoy your posts. btw i’m doing research regarding this area. do you happen to know any other websites or perhaps forums that I can learn more? thanks a ton.

11. Eskiah Said: Comment by Eskiah on November 11, 2010 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

hey, just wanted to say mr M ur awesum
    evrything youve wrote ive watched even the little documentaries
    is there any way in the world i can meet you, or have the pleasure of auditionin for your next master piece??
    good luck with “the last airbender: book 2” im so excited for this, hope its amazin and tells the critic where there mums can go. =]

12. Jeffrey Jon Said: Comment by Jeffrey Jon on July 6, 2012 at 9:12 pm | Permalink

Mr M,
    I don’t know what others were thinking when they spoke ill of the Last Airbender….we loved the movie, and look forward to the sequel.
    I guess, $300 million dollars does not say success?….
    Look for another company or producer…European maybe?
    Hollywood continues to produce trashy movies that will never equal the amount of money the Last Airbender produced. I guess to them, the movies that promote crude, rude behavior is top priority to them.
    I love your stuff….keep it up.

13. AJ(Airbender) Said: Comment by AJ(Airbender) on August 19, 2012 at 11:21 am | Permalink

i have so many for him! i just cant believe what he did to ATLA in the movie.
    Why were none of the Characters like the ones from the series?
    How come fire benders couldnt make there own fire?
    how come there was so little bending? Way to much movement before any bending happen.
    Why were sooooooo many things skipped? No way your getting one season into one movie.

Please don’t ruin any more ATLA with more inaccurate movies.

Ricardo Reply:

Obviously this was from quite a while ago and the interview is now over.

But basically, M. Night Shyamalan wasn’t making a replica of ATLA in live-action. He was making his own movie, but only based on ATLA. He felt that it’d be better if firebenders could only produce fire during Sozin’s Comet or if the user was extremely experienced.

He did not ruin ATLA at all. In fact, he did the very opposite and made it better.

Ricardo Reply:

I apologise for the bold font. I’m on a phone and it makes it difficult. 😛

momo2009 Reply:

stop defending him and the “He did not ruin ATLA at all. In fact, he did the very opposite and made it better” is your opinion not a fact. 😛

Ricardo Reply:

It’s not my opinion but taken from information from interviews after the movie was released.
    Many people that ha no idea ATLA existed enjoyed the movie and said they’d be looking into ATLA now.

I also believe it had some effect on the new possible animated LOK movie.

All in all, it had a much positive effect on ATLA and the Avatar franchise.

The key thing is that the movie has had no adverse affect on the show or the fandom apart from some fans being unable to ignore it if they hate it.

The movie has brought in new fans to the fandom and made the show more popular which has given Korra better ratings which is helping the show become more popular, hence why Paramount want an animated movie to happen.

Sure it is not the best movie, not many people actually say more than they found it flawed but enjoyable. But it is not the trainwreck of a movie that a lot of people say it it, it did not nearly ruin Avatar or the fandom.
    It added to the fanfom, Fact.

Jadely Reply:

I have not seen the movie but it looks good ?
    The more Avatar based movies the better 😀 .

Ricardo Reply:

You should watch it. 🙂

It’s not really as bad as people make it out to be, just keep an open mind and remember that you’re watching a movie, not ATLA.

It’ll also help you with the site The Last Airbender Movie Awards. 😛

I completely agree. 🙂

14. ZukoATLA Said: Comment by ZukoATLA on August 3, 2013 at 10:48 pm | Permalink

Will there be a ‘Crossroads Of Destiny’ and ‘Sozin’s Comet’ movie. I really hope they improve on these ones if there is.