4 preview pages for How To Draw Korra book

I was so excited to get preview pages for this how to draw korra book, if any of you know me you know that while I do Origami and Papercraft I cannot freehand draw at all, I was excited for this book as a way to get me into Korra drawing. I am very disappointed and have gone from wanting to preorder this book to really not wanting to recommend this book to ANYONE. Here is why, just look at these pages.

drawkorra

drawamon

I am sure some of you are thinking “Wait, there are probably more pages in the instructions, this is just a preview”, but I will direct you to the pages numbers of the 4 pages we got, 10-13 no gap. Korra’s instructions literally end at step 4 O.O.

I honestly fail to see how this book can really claim to teach people how to draw Korra characters, it starts off well and the first 3 steps are fairly easy to follow, giving you an idea of scale and the basic wireframe of the character. The problem is going from step 3 to 4, it goes from undetailed wireframe to fully detailed model. ZERO help on where to start. How can you call that much of the whole drawing 1 step. This book is aimed at kids and people with little to know drawing experience, this does not seem to do what it is saying on the cover.

I was never expecting it to go into insane detail explaining every single detail, but this is honestly a joke. Even giving a low estimate on a reasonable how to, these are missing at least 5 or so steps. Just a general “Here is how you start Korra’s hair, Amon’s mask etc” not to mention some of the more complex stuff like the shadows and clothing detail. I will say that there is some potential for more instruction given that the text shown in this preview is just dummy text, if it has some further tips it could be helpful, but I think more visual steps are needed.

Mainly I am sad that this book had so much potential and it apparently has turned out fairly poorly 🙁

As some form of an explanation for the few steps. The images we are being thought to draw are stock promo images from before Book 1 even aired, so the artist/writer of this book probably is not the original artist. Hence why we only see basic steps and no details, but at the same time that shows how little effort seems to have gone into this book.

The only thing at this stage that would make me get this book is if it includes Book 2 characters or if it is available very cheap online. Release date is September 1st.

Thoughts?

New Character Revealed – Toza
New Korra Game on Nick.com - Republic City Run
Book 3 USA Premiere June 27th, NEXT WEEK!!!
SDCC 2015 Avatar and Korra Dark Horse Panel Info

1. Avatar Yangchen Said: Comment by Avatar Yangchen on June 9, 2014 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

@airspeed i agree. i cannot draw characters from avatar without knowing how to draw their physical features. going from a body, which seems very generic, to a whole character is not step by step instructions. there’s a guy on youtube who is actually really good at drawing avatar characters. he was much better at doing step by step instructions than this book preview. 😛

2. HypnoManiac(Amonics Leader) Said: Comment by HypnoManiac(Amonics Leader) on June 9, 2014 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

It should be step 1 Draw Amon and step 2 remember how to draw Amon and step 3 draw AM789 😛

3. Kelly Said: Comment by Kelly on June 9, 2014 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

oh my god its hilarious how bad this is. Sorry but how do they expect you to go from step 3 to 4? Its like a joke! Im not even angry since I dont draw but I can imagine a kid trying to understand this and being so confused

Troy Reply:

That is so true.

Avatar Yangchen Reply:

we should rebel and demand something more! 😛

4. Christine Said: Comment by Christine on June 9, 2014 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

Was the “how to draw Avatar” book better than this?

5. Emily Said: Comment by Emily on June 9, 2014 at 9:21 pm | Permalink

That amon wireframe isn’t even Amon, it’s a recycled Aang wireframe from the original “How to Draw Avatar” book with a similar posture

Oh wow, that is shocking. This book is looking more and more like a complete cash grab with little to no effort put into it.

6. Lin's Dad Said: Comment by Lin's Dad on June 10, 2014 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Look at the Korra page.
    The stages are labelled 1 > 2 > 4 > 3.
    These people can’t even count.

7. 北方拓芙 Said: Comment by 北方拓芙 on June 11, 2014 at 11:37 am | Permalink

This book is like:

1 – Draw head structure.

2 – Draw torso structure.

3 – Draw limb structure.

4 – Draw everything else.

8. F.L.Z Said: Comment by F.L.Z on June 13, 2014 at 6:06 am | Permalink

I can’t believe it!I have never seen such a scam in my whole life!I really tried to find a reasonable explanation that how we can draw this characters from step 3 to 4 for about 15 minutes just by looking at it and I couldn’t find any!How much stupid they are that actually thought that someone gonna buy this?I’m sure it has an explanation!It should have!

P.K.Z Reply:

Yeah you said it!

9. PurplePlatypusBear Said: Comment by PurplePlatypusBear on July 21, 2014 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

This has got to be fake. Honestly. That is basically a tutorial on how to plan poses, not how to draw specific characters. The whole point of the book is learning how to draw these characters features so that you can make it look like them in your own drawings. I don’t think the creators would ever put something like this through. Plus, on the Korra page the steps are listed as 1. 2. 4. 3. Either the people working on this book don’t even know how to count or it is not real, or at least not the final product. They can’t say, “Okay, draw the guidelines here, now here, now here, now make it look like Korra. “

Pretty sure they are just super early preview pages, hence why the text is just dummy text and numbers are off.

I assume the book will look a bit different come release in a few weeks, but yup it is a huge joke right now.