2013 Korra SDCC Panel Information Summary

Airspeed Prime here just like the past two years to cover SDCC for the site. As usual I am not at the convention, but I will be compiling all of the available information from the panel into this post.

Book 2 spirits poster

Like last year this post will constantly be updated so refresh this post every 2-3 minutes to see what news there is. If the past two years are anything to go by, images and video will come out after the panel ends. I will post the sources of the information after the panel ends as there will be a lot. Finally since we know Book 2 Episode 1, Rebel Spirit will be shown I will put the reports of the episode in a spoiler section at the bottom of the review away from the other news.

SOURCES

Hypable’s live blog
-Images from JennyatSDCC

• Still an hour to go until it begins, but as far as I can tell Ballroom 20 is already packed with Korra fans
  • My browser tab count is currently at 13 as I try to find as many sources who will be covering the panel live.
  • 30 minutes to go
  • 15 to go, don’t worry I won’t do a full on countdown, next one will be when the panel is starting.
  • Panel before Korra is over, I assume Mike, Bryan and the crew will be arriving soon.
  • Just in case you are hearing that there are livestreams of the panel out there, there are not, the interviews after the panel will be livestreamed on IGN. We are going off text reports here.
  • According to Korra Nation the SDCC Korra fan art winner will be announced soon at the panel.
  • Seems like the panel has just began.
  • Panel opens with a Book 2 trailer with some slow yet beautiful music
  • Book 2 coming in September, I called it 🙂
    Korra September
  • Trailer featured Asami, Wan, Wan Shi Tong, Kya and Tenzin falling down a waterfall…
  • Jinora enters the Spirit World with Korra, Asami is seen crying, Wan and Korra both entering Avatar State
  • Bryan says that they have a tonne of content for us
  • Like last year they mention the new additions to the creative team for the rest of Korra. Colin Heck, Lauren Montgomery and Ian Graham. New writers/directors for the upcoming episodes.
  • Josh Hamilton and Tim Hedrick are back as writers, they wrote many ATLA episodes
  • Up next is the Book 2 Episode 1 premiere.
  • While the episode airs I will upload some pics, just a few as I will have more time afterwards
  • Korra Nation posted this Mako GIF
    Mako GIF
Wan Avatar

I think this is Wan entering the Avatar State

• Korra Nation with an Airkids gif
    Airkids gif
  • Varrick GIF
    Varrick Gif
  • Eska gif
    Eska GIF
  • They are into a Q and A session now, first question up is how did the VA’s get into voice acting. I will only post if their is good info.
  • The voice actors talk about seeing that episode for the first time and their first gigs as actors
  • Next up is a sneak peak of Avatar Wan, the first Avatar
  • Just saw that episode 1 was written by Tim Hedrick
  • “There’s an origin story of the Avatar, we’ve kicked around since season 2 of Avatar,” says Mike.
  • Flashbacks have a different art style, stylised, wood block, nice paintings with textures.
  • Wan is the original Avatar from 10000 years before Korra. His animal is a cat-deer named Mula.
  • Other characters are a large man in red with a headdress and a Lemur esque human sized creature that is a light spirit, which we have ever seen before.
  • Humans can be altered by Spirits
  • “Wan has several costumes – young and ragged Earth Kingdom style, more put-together Fire Nation style, very wrapped and somewhat Water-ish.”
  • They reveal the fan art winners, which Korra Nation just put up here, http://korranation.tumblr.com/post/55890956849/live-from-the-lok-comic-con-panel-mike-bryan-and
  • Some of the spirits are tributes to Miyazaki
  • Korra Nation just revealed that the 5pm surprise is just that there is a scavenger hunt for anyone at the convention, where they can win prizes. We have still yet to get what us online fans who cannot attend will get to see, Nick did tease something. I assume at least the trailers will go online.
  • Mike mentions there is no specific date in September, but it is for sure that month.
  • TRAILER IS ONLINE
  • Adding more pics now
  • Here are some background shots from Wan’s time
    SDCC20133-1
    SDCC2013-2
  • Some of the characters from the flashbacks
    WAN1WAN2
    WAN3
    WAN4
    WAN5
  • Some images of Wan
    WANC1
    WANC2
    WANC3
  • His Cat-Deer Mula
    Mula

SPOILERS FOR K201 Rebel Spirits

-It seems as if the air scooter race we saw in animatic form last year is part of episode 1. Bumi is said to be retired from the United Forces now.
-Korra seems to have mastered Airbending
-Roadtrips to the Air Temples are mentioned, I believe Katara sends her kids to the Air Temples.
-Festival is named the Glacial Spirits Festival
-Bolin initially thinks Desna and Eska are both girls and likes them, until Korra informs him that Desna is a boy
-Conflict betwen brothers as Unalaq wants to be Korra’s spiritual teacher while Tonraq wants it to remain Tenzin
-Varrick wants to invent the moving picture, movies I guess
-Bolin and Asami goe to visit Varrick, after a reasonably successful meeting, Asami hugs Bolin and calls him a natural assistant, is his future in business
-Bolin tries to chat up Eska and she says “You amuse me. I will make you mine”
-Korra, Tonraq, Mako and Bolin all fight the first Spirit and fail, even Korra in the Avatar State is knocked back until Unalaq appears and uses some technique to make the spirit turn to gold and fades away.
-This makes Korra’s mind up and she decides to learn from Unalaq
-Episode ends with Unalaq saying he has plans for Korra as Korra mulls over if she did the right thing leaving Tenzin

Name Confirmation - The Last Airbender Legend Of Korra
Book 3 is titled "Change"
The Legend Of Korra Book 2 Spirits Awards - Voting Closed!
K402 Korra Alone up on Amazon, Itunes and Nick.com

1. alex Said: Comment by alex on July 19, 2013 at 11:52 am | Permalink

Aaaaah, I just can’t wait! I’m practical trembling right now.

2. Canadian Champion Said: Comment by Canadian Champion on July 19, 2013 at 11:56 am | Permalink

Can someone post a link to a site that will stream the panel?

Nowhere will be live streaming the panel. Hence why I am relying on live tweets and blogs to compile this post. We are all at the mercy of those at the panel right now 🙂

Shiney Reply:

I think this place: http://ultimatekorra.blogspot.in/p/blog-page_18.html will be livesteaming SOME of the panel. The interview, I think.

Or am I mistaken?

Ign will stream the interviews that are happening at 2:30pm a few hours after the panel.

3. Elenaa Said: Comment by Elenaa on July 19, 2013 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

Ohh Godd I can’t wait! I’m so excited! (and I just can’t hide it)

4. Promethium_X Said: Comment by Promethium_X on July 19, 2013 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

The interview with some of the panel members is @ 2:30 Pacific time on the main page for ign.com

5. PROMETHIUMX Said: Comment by PROMETHIUMX on July 19, 2013 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

Ign reposted every interview they did yesterday on youtube. Should be no different today

6. alex Said: Comment by alex on July 19, 2013 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

September!!!!

7. Troy Said: Comment by Troy on July 19, 2013 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

People tweet it air in sept.

Troy Reply:

Just confirmed by nktweets.

Troy Reply:

So has Dailynicknews.

8. Avatar M Said: Comment by Avatar M on July 19, 2013 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

OH YES!!! XD

9. Christine Said: Comment by Christine on July 19, 2013 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

OMG THE TRAILER I NEED TO SEE IT!

10. Shiney Said: Comment by Shiney on July 19, 2013 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

There should be a lot of Jinora in the trailer!

11. Christine Said: Comment by Christine on July 19, 2013 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

Ahh Jinora & Korra together!!

12. avataraang Said: Comment by avataraang on July 19, 2013 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

yes it is almost here , i cant wait to watch this season 😀

13. Christine Said: Comment by Christine on July 19, 2013 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

YOU GUYS! Check the blog. There’s some pics before it’ll most likely get taken down from the episode!

alex Reply:

If they get taken down I have them saved. 🙂

14. Troy Said: Comment by Troy on July 19, 2013 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

Can you confirm (spoilers) that the kataang kids are sent to go to each of the air temples??

15. Troy Said: Comment by Troy on July 19, 2013 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

The Varrick and Airkids one’s look very Ghibil like animated.

16. Troy Said: Comment by Troy on July 19, 2013 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

Spoiler- Avatar Wan animal guide was a cat-deer.

17. Kelly Said: Comment by Kelly on July 19, 2013 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

I JUST GIT HOME FROM WORK SPRINTING IN 100 DEGREES (literally 100 im not overexerting) HEAT AND HOLY AVATAR YES WE ARE BACK!!!

18. Avatar M Said: Comment by Avatar M on July 19, 2013 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

I WATCHED THE TRAILER, AND IT’s SO EPIC! XD

19. Troy Said: Comment by Troy on July 19, 2013 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

Trailer on youtube. I won’t put the link. I liked how much Jinora was in it I find Jinora really attractive, If she was older I mean.

20. Kelly Said: Comment by Kelly on July 19, 2013 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

Actually in tears, We are BACK!!

The trailer blew my mind! SO MUCH TO TALK ABOUT!!
    It looks stunning, Im trying to keep my sanity and stay away from spoilers but tumblr isnt helping lol. I just like looking at the pictures of the episode and it looks AMAZING!!

21. Christine Said: Comment by Christine on July 19, 2013 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

So happy they released a trailer!! Thank you so much for your livefeed.

22. YangChen Said: Comment by YangChen on July 19, 2013 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

I am sooo happy right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. Avatar Yangchen Said: Comment by Avatar Yangchen on July 19, 2013 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

all i can say is: 😎

24. momo2009 Said: Comment by momo2009 on July 19, 2013 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

So 10000 year is canon now ?

25. Shiney Said: Comment by Shiney on July 19, 2013 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

When is the interview?

2:30pm, so in 1 hour and 20 minutes. IGN have a live stream.

26. Sogno Said: Comment by Sogno on July 19, 2013 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

This is so great I’m so excited ~

27. Airspeed Prime Said: Comment by Airspeed Prime on July 19, 2013 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

Post updated with image of Mula.

28. Hyriu 85 Said: Comment by Hyriu 85 on July 19, 2013 at 8:02 pm | Permalink

I was going crazy when I got on line and i went to youtube and looked up the trailer and since my internet is slow it took about 20 minutes to load, craziest 20 minutes of my life lol and suddenly when it loaded completley and i pressed play, i became very calm and level headed its like a switch was flipped, my mind was at ease finally after waiting so long the trailer is here and book 2 will follow shortly 🙂

29. kate Said: Comment by kate on July 19, 2013 at 11:48 pm | Permalink

CALLED IT! I commented on the Korra print that the spirit images reminded me of Spirited Away (and Paprika). Geek point for me! (although now knowing that I want to be at SDCC even more than I though humanly possible now…..)

30. Lexi Said: Comment by Lexi on July 22, 2013 at 2:22 pm | Permalink